Ongoing conversations

Home Forums Fanstoys general discussion Ongoing conversations

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 163 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    dpuff
      @dpuff

When u have a tiny peepee being a mod for tfw seems like the next logical step in life. Too bad im not looking for a job….. 😯

Fortynickel
        @fortynickel

When u have a tiny peepee being a mod for tfw seems like the next logical step in life. Too bad im not looking for a job….. ?

Wait, I received a message a while back to apply to be a mod. How did they know about my…lack of stature.

Do you think they have cameras in my bathroom? My wife probably told them. Just when I was starting to trust her too.

Participant
        Christian
          @christianc

I’d have to second this notion. I think one of the things that they didn’t like about us (and there were many) was that we were promoting Chinese websites, who aren’t sponsors, with our links to PO and in-stock items. I didn’t think about it before until Marcelo mentioned that they shut us down when people started slagging off TFSource.

I also think that they just have a real problem with people who don’t pine for their approval… Some people really like feeling like they fit in at the top of a social circle, even if it’s something as meaningless as a Transformers message board.

This is probably also why there were so many crazy right-wingers in that circle too. Seniority and social prestige are way, way too important to some people.

Especially those with small wieners.

Participant
          Moose
            @maraudingmoose

Glad I read this thread. Always enjoyed reading your political leaning posts on TFW. Never joined in the conversation much because I’m usually 15 pages behind. Hopefully I can keep up a little better here

Participant
            Christian
              @christianc

Glad I read this thread. Always enjoyed reading your political leaning posts on TFW. Never joined in the conversation much because I’m usually 15 pages behind. Hopefully I can keep up a little better here

I’m glad to hear that. The most memorable debate over at TFW was one which wasn’t overtly political, but definitely had some undertones to the general nature of scalpers, greed and entitlement found all over this hobby.

Someone asked what “new” meant to buyers and whether it could include a figure which was “opened for inspection” (a phrase which has basically become synonymous to me with “I opened it, played with it for a month but got some semen on it while I was clowning around and now want to sell it”) or if it strictly meant that the tape had never been cracked. A surprisingly high portion of people said that when they sell things as “new,” it can mean that they even took the figure out of the clamshell, but didn’t transform it.

I sell online quite a bit, so I mentioned what it means to me and what my standard is for a figure I buy as new… And holy shit, did a couple of guys get furious with me with one even starting to profanely name-call and rant.

It got locked but not deleted, so you might still be able to find it in 3P if you’re interested in seeing just how easily some people can fool themselves into thinking that the definition of “new” is a very vague concept.

Participant
              Moose
                @maraudingmoose

I think I actually remember that one come to think of it. If the tape is cracked, you list it as used. Some ppl applauded, others went insane.

Totally agree. It’s super easy to set ppl off over there. I was in the xtb Virtus thread right before the Locke debacle and commented on how I thought something was engineered. Next thing I knew there was a shit ton of angry posts from would be engineers moaning about how stupid I was. Lots of tools in that “place”

Participant
                Moose
                  @maraudingmoose

That’s the third time the reply button has crapped out on me.

Participant
                  Christian
                    @christianc

I think I actually remember that one come to think of it. If the tape is cracked, you list it as used. Some ppl applauded, others went insane. Totally agree.

That’d be the one. The weirdest part is how readily those people told on themselves, you know? They kept saying that “there was no difference in condition of the figure” and “that what ‘new’ meant was a matter of opinion… but if there’s no difference in condition and other people see it differently, then there’s no reason not to just tell the buyer that. They’ll understand, right? I still maintain that the only reason to list the figure as “new” rather than just saying “used but factory fresh, yadda yadda” is that you want to dupe some new-only buyer into picking up your piece and then having to decide whether to go through the process of a return if they don’t like that you iNSpEcTeD it.

It’s super easy to set ppl off over there. I was in the xtb Virtus thread right before the Locke debacle and commented on how I thought something was engineered. Next thing I knew there was a shit ton of angry posts from would be engineers moaning about how stupid I was. Lots of tools in that “place”

I saw a great video recently about how certain political groups weaponize nostalgia in order to attract a really isolated, susceptible type of “customer” for lack of a better term. Their goals might differ from what a message board for a niche hobby or a retailer like TF Source may want, but it’s a similar strategy: make a detached viewer feel like one of the boys and they’ll start nipping at anyone’s heels who crosses the line.

Participant
                    Moose
                      @maraudingmoose

make a detached viewer feel like one of the boys and they’ll start nipping at anyone’s heels who crosses the line.

Finally hit the right damn button! This must have been how my grandfather felt when he used nextflix for the first time.

Yeah, us vs them. Timeless strategy that only creates division and anger…and an amazing story for transforming robot toys

Fortynickel
                        @fortynickel

I think I actually remember that one come to think of it. If the tape is cracked, you list it as used. Some ppl applauded, others went insane. Totally agree

You guys are really hardcore. After I’ve transformed a figure and broke it, I’ll list the item as “new” because the damage is still fresh and the busted piece, I’ll advertise it as a “bonus accessory”.

Sometimes I’ll list it as a “Limited Bobby Skullface Edition, 1 of 1”.

Participant
                        dpuff
                          @dpuff

I think I actually remember that one come to think of it. If the tape is cracked, you list it as used. Some ppl applauded, others went insane. Totally agree

You guys are really hardcore. After I’ve transformed a figure and broke it, I’ll list the item as “new” because the damage is still fresh and the busted piece, I’ll advertise it as a “bonus accessory”. Sometimes I’ll list it as a “Limited Bobby Skullface Edition, 1 of 1”.

Broken figures get listed as “custom” for me. In the long run, no matter how used something is, its still “new” to someone else. Im like a contractor, ill do what i consider my best to get what u ask for, but dont really care bc i cant see it from my house 😉

Participant
                          Moose
                            @maraudingmoose

Sometimes I’ll list it as a “Limited Bobby Skullface Edition, 1 of 1”.

New! Ham hands weathered edition

Participant
                            Christian
                              @christianc

Fingerprints rubbed off the shine? “Modified from chrome to metallic.”

Fortynickel
                                @fortynickel

It’s super easy to set ppl off over there. I was in the xtb Virtus thread right before the Locke debacle and commented on how I thought something was engineered. Next thing I knew there was a shit ton of angry posts from would be engineers moaning about how stupid I was. Lots of tools in that “place”

Seriously though, as bad as it can seem on TFW, I think it’s pretty tame compared to other fandoms.

Watching some of these Original Trilogy vs. Prequel vs Sequel Star Wars fights is crazy. Or how Kevin Smith ruined people’s childhood because of the new “Masters of the Universe”. Everyone is just overly dramatic nowadays. We can’t just disagree over some trivial stuff and move on, everything has to be a holy war.

Keymaster
                                Keymaster
                                Marcelo
                                  @admin

Seriously though, as bad as it can seem on TFW, I think it’s pretty tame compared to other fandoms. Watching some of these Original Trilogy vs. Prequel vs Sequel Star Wars fights is crazy. Or how Kevin Smith ruined people’s childhood because of the new “Masters of the Universe”. Everyone is just overly dramatic nowadays. We can’t just disagree over some trivial stuff and move on, everything has to be a holy war.

The problem of comparing levels of toxicity this way is that it may seem like the lowest level is not thatttt toxic, when in fact it is.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 163 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                Marcelo Written by: